Welcome to the Family Medicine Department at South Boston Community Health Center, a team model of care with a focus on wellness and prevention for all ages.
Unlike traditional adult and pediatric practices, the Family Medicine department at South Boston Community Health Center (SBCHC) and South Boston Health - Seaport provides care for patients of all ages. This includes routine physical exams, preventive care, cancer & cholesterol screening, immunizations, chronic disease care, walk-in care for urgent problems, pregnancy & newborn care, family planning and gynecological services. We have Women’s Health specialists on our staff as well as OB/GYN physicians and nurse practitioners.
In addition to serving on the faculty of Boston University's School of Medicine, our nine attending physicians serve as primary care providers as well as having faculty appointments at the Boston University School of Medicine, overseeing the care provided by our 12 resident physicians, who are doctors receiving specialized training in primary care. All of our residents and many of our faculty care for our patients when they deliver their babies at Boston Medical Center, or if they need to be hospitalized there for an illness. We also have an nurse practitioner who serves as a primary care provider in addition to assisting our OB team. Additionally, Family Medicine has an embedded social worker, addiction counselor and family planner who work closely with our PCPs to ensure that we are meeting the full range of needs of our patients.
Can I be seen in Family Medicine? What is the age range of patients?
We treat patients of all ages, from birth through old age. We are happy to assign your whole family to a single doctor who can get to know your family well and provide pediatric services, prenatal care, adult preventative, chronic disease and acute care, as well as geriatric services in a single place.
The goal of South Boston Community Health Center’s Family Medicine Department is to treat you as a whole person and to tailor our care to the specific needs of you and your family.
As such, we provide the following services to patients in the South Boston and Seaport locations:
- Pediatric well child checks, sports physicals and sick visits
- Confidential contraceptive counseling including the ability to place and remove nexplanons and intrauterine devices (IUDs)
- Routine gynecologic care including pap smears and colposcopy, evaluation and treatment of abnormal periods, PCOS, STIs, and menopausal symptoms. There are two OBGYNs within our department who can also treat complex gynecologic conditions or those that require surgery.
- Routine adult physical exams including vaccinations and screening for common chronic conditions and cancers.
- Chronic disease management for a wide range of conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, obesity, migraines, asthma, depression, anxiety, COPD, heart failure, or cirrhosis
- Sick visits for acute injuries or illnesses such as rashes, ear infections, flu, pneumonia, knee or back injuries, sprains, lacerations, or infections. We can provide many acute procedures on site including abscess drainage and minor laceration repair.
- Prenatal care from preconception through the post partum period and beyond. For many patients this includes having your primary prenatal provider present to deliver your baby.
- ICC clinic – an interdisciplinary clinic to address the social, behavioral and medical needs of patients with complex medical conditions
Are you wondering if we can treat your condition? Call us today and speak with a clinical staff member: (617) 269-7500
The Family Medicine team works with Dr. Kumar, a functional medicine specialist who sees patients at South Boston Health – Seaport. Functional medicine focuses on identifying and addressing the root cause of disease here. Uniquely, at the Seaport location we offer it in an insurance-based practice. Call us to learn more and see if it could be helpful for you: 617-464-7620
The Family Medicine Department sees patients and families in both South Boston and in the Seaport.
CONTACT FAMILY MEDICINE AT SOUTH BOSTON COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER
Address: 409 West Broadway South Boston, MA 02127
Monday: 8:30 AM - 8:00 PM
Tuesday: 8:30 AM - 8:00 PM
Wednesday: 9:30 AM - 8:00 PM
Thursday: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
CONTACT FAMILY MEDICINE AT SEAPORT HEALTH IN BOSTON'S SEAPORT NEIGHBORHOOD
Address: 505 Congress Street South Boston, MA 02210
Monday – Tuesday: 9 AM - 7 PM
Wednesday – Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM